Sunday, April 15, 2007

First days at school.

The week starts with me starting graphics as an almost foriegn subject, spoken in a foreign language. The week finishes with me studying illustration in the English language. I find the first two days a bit of a struggle, we're doing a predominantly photographic project (which I chose) and the Teacher doesn't seem to like speaking English, or translating. The flip side is that the students are very helpful and are happy to chat with us about whats going on. After two days I decide to switch subjects, I am afterall an illustration student.
My new lecturer is Mike (not sure how to spell his last name, apologies, will amend) Mcinney, illustrator of The Who album covers, and a lecturer of my University in Bath when it was located at Corsham. He's an enthusiastic and talkative man thats very welcoming, I feel much more at home working now and am finally settled. Along with Benno Zehnder (previously head of design at Bath Spa) who we met last week, we are establishing our own Bath Spa Frat club.
On wednesday we were invited to Bennos house for traditional Suisse food- Fondue. We meet his lovely wife Esther at our house and hop on the train for 45 minutes. Their house is situated next to a lake and nestled between gentle hills. We sit in their sipping wine and enjoying the sunshiine and cats. Dinner is announced and we adjourn to the dinning room for my first ever Fondue.
I was uder the impression that Fondue was the British equivillant to sunday roast, and that come Sunday Fondue was expected. This isn't the case. Once or twice a year they melt down a considerable amount of cheese until molten and with delicate little forks they skewer bread and coat with cheese. Its a very rich taste and see why it isn't every sunday. We drink some local farm schnapps which at 69% is very potent. We talk and eat the night away, the company is good and the drink flowing. Benno is a charming man and a wealth of knowledge, I quiz him on Switzerland and there isn't a question he couldn't answer. I'm told he is a Renaissance man, and can apply his hand to most of the arts, sculture, painting, illustration and design, thats how it was and perhaps should be now. Coming to switzerland has been through these people a little like coming back to Bath.

No comments: