Monday, June 4, 2007

Freitag Birthday Zurich




So on Friday the 25th of May it was the one year anniversary of Freitags zurich store. They had a party, and if you're an exclusive member like myself then you were invited along to smaple some of the wares they were hawking. I was going in high hopes of discounted bags and what not, perhaps free posters or postcards something anything, anything free, my hope was sadly misplaced. They did have a barbeque and drinks, but where my discount dammit.
On the upside their building is something worth seeing. They have a nine story buidling made from metal storage containers (which Ben informs me are called gaylords, I don't belive him at all). The shop only spans three of these in height but it is full to bursting with recycled bags, ipod holders, laptop cases, wallets et al, a very handsome building. Hiromi and I climbed to the top to the observation post. As you climb and other people descend next to you, you can't help but notice the building sway ever so gentle with the motion. The top yields a 360 degree view of town, its not a great view but you are up high.
One of the two Freitag brothers was behind a bar dolling out drinks, looking shabbily well presented in mock overalls.
I take my hat of to their concept, take some second hand truck tarpualin, bike inner tubes, and car seat belts fashion into handsome products and sell at high prices, genius. They are now branching out into punch bags, footballs, seating and more, you can also go to their website and with the aid of the 'F-cut' cut out your own bag from a selection of tarps for assembly and delivery for an extra 20CHF on top of the usual price. What are you waiting for?

No comments: